[RTTY] MMTTY AFC Bug

Joe Subich, W4TV lists at subich.com
Sun Jan 9 08:36:55 PST 2011

> I'll be running, give my exchange and then suddenly I can't find the
> other station. I notice that AFC has slipped off,

Are you sure AFC is turning off (being disabled) and not retuning
due to an interfering signal or noise?  I've long noticed AFC will
"move" the receive frequency in response to noise with or a strong
"adjacent channel" signal.

The AFC behavior is another reason that I use FSK and keep AFC OFF.
I do all my tuning with the main knob (in "S&P") or RIT (in "Run").
In my opinion, AFC is a waste of code.  However, if you *MUST* use
it, set the SQ parameter higher (reduce the chance of tuning on
noise or weak interfering signal), set sweep to 0.5 to limit the
tuning range and increase Time to slow its action.

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV