[RTTY] GU0SUP in the RRU

Phil Cooper pcooper at guernsey.net
Mon Jan 10 14:18:54 PST 2011

Hi all,

A very part-time affair here, due to personal commitments.

I didn't get a chance to start up the radio until 0600 on Sunday morning, at
which time there was very little audible on both 80m and 40m.

I was able to hear several W's on 40m, including W0SD (at S9+), but he
wasn't hearing many EU stations at all.

20m was poor until the W's started to come in at 1230GMT, and then I mainly
went S&P picking up new States/provinces.

It was pleasing to see and work Jamie as VP9/WW3S, so I assume you fixed
those problems Jamie?

I missed out on VE6WQ, but maybe propagation didn't favour the path. I did
see VE7CC calling folk, but never found him CQ'ing.

As I knew I wasn't going to make a high QSO count, I went for mults, and
trawled the bands heavily, and I was lucky to find a few each time.

Some were hard work, but thanks to all of you for listening!

Andy VE9DX, I don't know how you heard my serial, as you were extremely weak
with me, with a lot of QSB.

I guess Don AA5AU was using his switchable antenna, as he got my serial
easily too, despite being weak here.

I did get WV and RI, but they weren't easy to find!

I did keep checking 10m, but it was dead, apart from one time when I heard
some weak RTTY, and then saw it was V5/DJ2HD. I called and worked him first
time, but as he wasn't in the contest, I didn't enter it into the log.

My only real gripe was UU9JQ, who kept on calling me when I was trying to
work someone else. He caused me to go through multiple repeats of my serial
number to various folk. Bad operating practice!

I can accept it once, for example, someone sees my call, and jumps in for
the GU mult. But, when they can clearly see me getting asked for repeats,
and see me sending those repeats, I really cannot understand what makes
someone call again and again. UU9JQ did this to me on at least 4 or 5
occasions, possibly more, and it got to be a real nuisance.

I noted the comments about ending a call with CQ, and saw many folk who
ought to have heeded this!

There were more than a few stations simply sending TU QRZ after working
someone, with no call shown at all.

Band  QSOs

------------

   80:    7

   40:    9

   20:  121

   15:   35

   10:    0

------------

Total:  172  State/Prov = 40  Countries = 41  Total Score = 13,932

MULTIPLIERS

States worked:

CT   MA   ME   NH   RI   VT   NJ   NY   PA   AL   FL   GA   KY   NC

TN   VA   LA   MS   NM   OK   TX   CA   AZ   MT   OR   WA   MI

OH   WV   IL   IN   WI   CO   MN   MO

Provinces worked:

NB   PE   QC   ON   MB

DX:

9A    CM    CN    DL    E7    EA    EA8   EU    F     GM    HA    HB

HI    HZ    I     JA    KP4   LA    LY    LZ    OH    OK    OM    ON

OZ    P4    PA    S5    SM    SP    SV    TF    UA    UN    UR    VK

VP9   YL    YO    YU    ZC4

Still, it was fun, and I enjoyed it.

My log is now on LoTW, but - as always - paper cards are welcomed.

73 all

Phil GU0SUP

---
Virus Database (VPS): 110110-1, 10/01/2011
Tested on: 10/01/2011 22:18:55