[RTTY] RTTY Roundup AC0C Single Op HP

Jeff AC0C jeff at ac0c.com
Mon Jan 10 22:32:06 PST 2011

                    ARRL RTTY Roundup

Call: AC0C
Operator(s): AC0C
Station: AC0C

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: Kansas
Operating Time (hrs): 24

------------
   80:  134
   40:  427
   20:  389
   15:   72
   10:    0
------------
Total: 1022  State/Prov = 54  Countries = 37  Total Score = 93,002

Club: Kansas City DX Club

Comments:

My 2nd year participating and a lot of fun.  Equipment was FT-2000 with the NS
roofing filter, Alpha 76pa, home-brew interface with N1MM/MMTTY.  Antenna is a
all attic arrangement that covers 160m-6m through a series of mostly monoband
yagis of various types.

No significant hardware problems this year except for a bit of RF getting into
my variable speed amp fan board which I had to fix via a firmware mod (no
digging inside the amp while in run mode!).  The Alpha performed otherwise very
soundly.

Antenna work was ongoing right up until Friday with Murphy making a serious
visit on Thursday.  Fortunately the problems were revealed in Thursday's
warm-up session and we were able to keep the gremlins away for the entire
contest.  A huge difference from last year which was plagued with antenna, amp
and tuner issues.

20/15/10m band conditions were tough.  20m was good on Saturday domestically -
but there was relatively few DX vs. my expectation - with about 10 less
countries than last year despite improved antennas.

80m was good for a couple of nice runs on Saturday.  The band was pretty quiet
until around midnight.  A new RX loop did not prove to be an advantage on 80m -
a big contrast to the 160m SP where the loop was a huge success.

40m was solid on Saturday and excellent on Sunday with the bulk of the DX
worked on 40m.  There seemed to be a huge amount of new participants that came
in on Sunday afternoon allowing for quite a few strong and sustained runs.  The
new antenna proved a strong performer on 40m although the F/B ratio has never
met model forecasts - I am considering making that a phased feed type prior to
WPX...

20m was disappointing and 15m not very well populated.  Signals seemed better
on Saturday than Sunday on 15m.  On 20m, it seemed like I ran out of guys to
work on the band.  And when scanning for S&P contacts, N1MM would show me as
having worked both sides of each QSO I looked at.  Probably indicates more
antenna work is needed here...

Thanks to everyone who worked me and hope to see a big turnout on next month's
WPX.

73/jeff/ac0c
www.ac0c.com