[RTTY] QRZ to QRV

William Smith bill.n3xl at verizon.net
Tue Jan 11 11:23:07 PST 2011

Tom,
I really don't mind trying to learn the proper way to do it. I think some
Q-signals spice things up a bit - it's certainly easy enough to Google q signals
and see the meaning, for the unwary. I think common q-signals are part of the
ham lingo. Using proper signals can avoid a lot of confusion - that's why formal
definitions for the signals were developed. CQ has its own purpose. I think
novice contesters should be trying to learn and use q signals commonly heard in
contests - which are probably just QSL, QRZ, and QSY, as far as I can think of.
I just learned that QRV or QRZ? (which basically  mean the same thing) should be
used after TU where many of us use QRZ without the ?.
73,
Bill

Hi Bill

There are probably others out there like you who don'e know what every Q
signals is.

I know at times I've sent 'QRZ' when I didn't print someone and didn't get
any answer back.  Sent a CQ and the guy came right back.  Everyone knows
what 'CQ' means.  73
Tom W7WHY