[RTTY] CQ or QRZ

Andy Swiffin a.l.swiffin at dundee.ac.uk
Tue Jan 11 12:16:00 PST 2011

William Smith <bill.n3xl at verizon.net> wrote:
> Andy,
> Which means if you don't see a call sign to grab, but think you may have
> heard a
> station, sending QRZ? is correct.

Correct

> If pouncers wait because you sent QRZ they
> are
> very meek. Do you agree?

No,  just polite and good operators.  This is what I do when someone gives a qrz.

AND,   when I QRZ and  pouncers do pounce and I can still hear the original caller I ignore them and persist with the caller.   Clearly if I'm not going to get them pretty much straight away I then take the pouncer but then persist with the QRZ.

Sorry,  I cannot go with the argument that "common <but incorrect> practice"  makes it alright to just do your own thing.   As I've already said,  QRZ is there to give the very clear message "I hear you, try again".

73
Andy
gm8oeg