[RTTY] CQ or QRZ

Peter Laws plaws at plaws.net
Wed Jan 12 13:24:28 PST 2011

On Wed, Jan 12, 2011 at 11:08, Bill, W6WRT <dezrat1242 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> If you call CQ 2000 times in a contest, saving one character gives you
> an extra 5.6 minutes. How many more stations can you work in 5.6
> minutes?
>
> The very first RTTY contest I ever entered I won CQ Zone 3. The second
> place station was behind me by one mult or four Qs. A lesson I never
> forgot.

No, no, Bill.  I'm being told that making your macros as efficient as
possible, both to increase your own score, and as a courtesy to
others, is wrong.  In fact, "73 GL" is considered by some to be rude
compared to "73 AND GOOD LUCK IN THE CONTEST".

Along the same lines, asking for repeats of only certain parts of an
exchange is bad form and that a simple "AGN AGN" (or, I guess that
should be "OM, PLEASE SEND ME YOUR INFORMATION AGAIN") is the new way
of doing it.  This is true even if you got the call and lack only part
of the exchange.

Efficiency?  Bad!

I've updated all my macros accordingly.

--
Peter Laws | N5UWY | plaws plaws net | Not a chance.  If anything,
I'll shorten them further.