[RTTY] Why send 599 report

William Smith bill.n3xl at verizon.net
Thu Jan 13 09:36:40 PST 2011

Russell,
599 is the content of the message. Nice to have SOMETHING in the message besides
just a serial number, which can be considered as message originator's serial
number. I agree that 599 is symbolic, as far as actual content goes. Our brief
contest exchanges represent essential pieces of a formatted messages, as
determined by the contest sponsor. Some contests don't use 599 but ask for your
name, section, club number, or whatever. A simple 599 for content is pretty damn
popular, so watch out for whose toes you are stepping on there buddy. Hi hi.

73,
Bill N3XL