[RTTY] Why send 599 report

Peter Laws plaws at plaws.net
Fri Jan 14 11:10:48 PST 2011

On Fri, Jan 14, 2011 at 11:17, Bill, W6WRT <dezrat1242 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> How about a contest where the only exchange is a signal report, but it
> must be an honest one? Any log with all 599's would be DQ'd.
>
> It could be automated. There is software right now which can read the
> S-meter on some rigs. I'm sure the program writers could figure a way to
> put it into the exchange automatically.
>
> That would be useful information!

1) Everyone's setup is different and 2) few radios follow the "Collins
Standard" (50 uV at the antenna terminals) ... or any other standard!

Even if everyone had similar stations and all RSSIs met some standard,
you couldn't prove that the information was "wrong".  And what about
the case where a signal *is* 599?

I'd rather see RST replaced with something else.  Even in the contests
where the only other information in the exchange is a Zone.