[RTTY] Forwarded message

Tom Osborne w7why at frontier.com
Fri Jan 14 21:40:33 PST 2011

Hi Dick

I am using kind of the same setup you have there.  I've got a couple of
TS-450SAT's and a FT-840. I have the DX Doubler here and it works really
well.

For transmitting, I use mostly FSK so that I can take advantage of the CW
filters in the older rigs.  I really don't need the DXD for that as I have
some interfaces from G4ZLP (Google his callsign) that work very well and are
pretty inexpensive.

The computer here is an older Dell with 5 com ports so it is really easy to
set up for  SO2R.  I think the FT-950 will do FSK, but the FT-857 is AFSK.
I have used a mix of FSK/AFSK here on the TS-450 and the FT-840 right now
without any problems (except I can't use the narrow filters for AFSK)

I use MMTTY and N1MM logger, for contesting and it is easy to set up
everything to work SO2R, even without the DXD.  All the transmit switching
is done in the programs.  The DXD does come in handy if you want to listen
with headphones as it will switch the audio between the radios.

For doing SSB and CW though, the DXD is really worth its weight in gold!!
Cables shoudn't be hard to make as they just use an 8-pin DIN and then a mic
plug, cw plug and an audio plug.

With the antennas you have you should be able to do a pretty good SO2R
station.  I have each one of my antennas running into a 2-position home made
antenna switch.  I have a homebrew 7 postion antenna switch on each radio.
That way each antenna can go to either radio 1 or radio 2.  That makes for a
very flexible setup for switching antennas.  Of course, you could go the Six
Pak method of antenna switches, but I think you said the XYL had some say in
this setup :-)  The homebrew switches are pretty cheap.

You said you had a  shortened 80 meter antenna.  Maybe a 40/80 trap dipole
might work there.

You do have the start of a SO2R station there, and after you get it set up,
you will see ways to improve on it.  73 and have fun!

Tom W7WHY

From: "DickT-W0RAA"

I hope I can get some help with my question.  I have several questions
and
it would probably be best if the  context was taken off the reflectors,
unless you felt it could benefit other members.  If you would like to
get a
dialogue started and help me, you can e-mail me at w0raa[at]arrl.net.

That being said, I have the following questions to ask (And probably
more):

I have a Yaesu FT-950 and a Yaesu FT-857D.  The 950 is my main radio,
and
the 857D is a backup.

My antennas consist of a Butternut HF-9V ground mounted vertical and
soon
(to replace a beam & tower that succumbed to 90 MPH winds) a Cushcraft
A3S
beam on a Rohn 25G as a replacement.  I will also be putting back up a
Van
Gordon Engineering 80 meter shortened dipole.

I would like to set up a SO2R contest setup and have been looking at the
DXDoubler as a means of doing so.  At present I have to switch one radio
out
of service to listen on another band for activity, and that can be
confusing, not to mention a time waster.  A DXDoubler looks like it
might be
a solution to my needs.  Will it be a simple setup?  What cables would I
need? Etc, etc.

So, is anybody using a similar setup to mine (950, 857D, antennas, etc)
that
can offer me some guidance on how I should proceed and not break the
bank,
which would keep the XYL happy.  I know none of you guys have ever had
that
problem before, so I mention it as a possible hindrance.  :)

Any help or somebody saying I just don't have enough antennas to do it
would
be appreciated.  I live in an upscale mobile home retirement community
here
in Colorado Springs and they tolerate beams, verticals and such.  I try
stay as low key as possible even with their permission.

SO if you care to help I would be appreciative.

73 & Tnx,

Dick
W0RAA