[RTTY] 2011 RTTY Roundup - 3830 Claimed Scores 14Jan2011

Ed Muns ed at w0yk.com
Sat Jan 15 19:57:20 PST 2011

Dick, K7VC, asked:
> Why are the Single Operator scores consistently higher in
> their categories than the M/S scores?  That would seem
> counter-intuitive.

There are a number of reasons, but the fundamental reason is that the rules
practically guarantee a SO will have a higher score than a MS given the same
station, same location and same operator skill.  The MS rules restrict the
station to 6 band changes per clock hour whereas the SO is only restricted
to having one signal on the air at a time.  Therefore, the SO has a
potential QSO rate of 2x the MS since they can alternate QSOs between two
bands.  The MS is effectively inhibited from transmitting on another band
while they are receiving on one band.

It is counter-intuitive, but it is also a reality of the classic MS rules.
I argue that a MS should be able to operate at least as effectively as a SO,
i.e., SO2R, and that the MS band change restriction should be replaced with
an operator change restriction.  That is, the operator cannot change more
often than, say 10 minutes.

Ed - W0YK