[RTTY] Sound card for RTTY/MMTTY

Joe Subich, W4TV lists at subich.com
Sun Jan 16 12:29:06 PST 2011

 > According to NewEgg:
 >
 >      SIIG IC-510012-S2 : Signal/Noise ratio = 68.5 dB
 >      SIIG IC-710012-S2 : Signal/Noise ratio = 92.0 dB
 >
 > How relevant are those S/N ratios for for RTTY?

I'm sure Chen will weigh in on this subject but my short answer is
"not very."  Either one should provide all the performance the
average amateur will need.

In most cases the audio level from the transceiver should be set
at least 10 dB above the noise floor of the sound card and the
maximum level from the radio will be limited by the transceiver
AGC.  As long as the "quite band" noise from the transceiver can
dominate the sound card noise, the soundcard S/N is not critical.

On the other hand, for $15, I'd always choose the better spec <G>.

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV