[RTTY] AA6YQ-FIR-512 Ignore Framing Error

Dave AA6YQ aa6yq at ambersoft.com
Fri Jan 21 12:25:44 PST 2011

>>>AA6YQ comments below

-----Original Message-----
From: rtty-bounces at contesting.com [mailto:rtty-bounces at contesting.com]On
Behalf Of Ktfrog007 at aol.com
Sent: Friday, January 21, 2011 11:23 AM
To: rtty at contesting.com
Subject: [RTTY] AA6YQ-FIR-512 Ignore Framing Error

Hi Dave,

I am curious about the Ignore Framing Error setting in your  FIR-512.  All
I know about it is what I read (below) in the Help file and  my
interpretation is that it would have only a marginal positive effect, if  at all.   No
other profile I've encountered sets it ON.  In my  own experiments with
FIR-512 I've turned it both ON and OFF, but so far I  can't see much of an effect
either way.

>>>I created a repeatable testing environment using AE4JY's Pathsim and VE3NEA's RTTY compare. Decoding a -10 db SNR RTTY signal is noticeably more accurate with "Ignore Framing Error" enabled.

>>>Drawing conclusions from weak on-air signals is risky, as the quality of the signal changes from second to second.

    73,

        Dave, AA6YQ

73,
Kermit, AB1J

Ignore  Framing Error

When the ignore framing error box  is checked on Option | Setup MMTTY |
Decode tab, the data are captured  without regard to the stop bits. This leads
to decoding of uncertain  letters–there will be print of poor copy,  but
there is a high likelihood of garbled (wrong)  characters.

In a message dated 1/21/2011 2:46:04 A.M. GMT Standard Time,
aa6yq at ambersoft.com writes:

>>>Besides the tight filter around the received singal,  the AA6YQ-FIR-512
profile is configured to enable majority logic and to  ignore framing
errors.

73,

Dave,  AA6YQ

-----