[RTTY] BARTG COMMENTS

Gary AL9A al9a at mtaonline.net
Mon Jan 24 15:50:02 PST 2011

Put away the multilayer flame suit Shelby - I have a very small torch! :)

Example:  I'm running and I get a call from W4KK to which I respond "W4KK
NNN NNN W4KK".  The first send of your call is to acknowledge you as the
station I'm working so you can be ready to receive my report.  The second
instance of your call is three fold - first, to let you and others in the
pile up know I am done sending to you, second, in case your call got garbled
up on the first send, and third to let you and others know I'm ready to
receive the report from W4KK only.  I don't need a resend of my call from
you, but if all I get is "NNN-NNN" do I assume it came from you or some
other eager beaver in the pile up?  Believe me it happens.  I've seen
multiple times where I get "NNN NNN" and then "KB8XYZ" prints on the screen.
Now what?  Do I log W4KK and the number as his?  Or do I assume it was
really KB4XYZ and his number?  Or do I send AGN AGN to get clarification?
Did W4KK get my number or did KB8XYZ get it and log it as his?  Gets
confusing real quick.

If I fail to log someone it's not because I disagree with the way they've
sent their exchange.  Rather it's because I'm not sure of who just sent me
some numbers and if I try to get a resend get no response because the
station has already moved off.  I hate to say it, but there are many 4 calls
from VA on in every contest.  Not always the case with AK.  Because AK is
both a DX mult and a needed state for many chasing WAS the pile ups can
disintegrate into a messy fur ball with minimal discipline real quick.  From
my end at least, anything that can be done to keep the exchanges clear and
precise are far more important than saving a few nano seconds per call.  All
it takes is a few AGN AGN requests to quickly wipe out any gains from
shortened macros.

73,
Gary AL9A