[RTTY] Self spotting question

Tom Haavisto kamham69 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 11 19:08:21 PDT 2011

Hi Gary

My take on it is - self-spotting would create a lot more headaches
than it would cure.  Once you open the floodgates, everyone can offer
a good reason why they think their actions are a good idea, such as "I
*NEED* to spot myself every five minutes to keep my run going!!"  I
think we all know where that will take us, but to the self-spotter, it
seems like a good idea.

FWIW - when I run assisted, I don't see the comments - just the spot
shows up.  And if it helps - if it is is someone I am looking for, I
will tune around a bit to see if I can find them.  Folks DO move
around, even after being spotted, so there is never any guarantee any
spot is 100% accurate.  I typically wait for a few minutes to let
things settle down after the initial spot anyway, so tuning around is
not a big deal.

Tom - VE3CX