[RTTY] Question?

Kok Chen chen at mac.com
Sun Jul 17 13:26:24 PDT 2011

On Jul 17, 2011, at 1:06 PM, Bill, W6WRT wrote:

> I wish - a forlorn wish - that AFC had never been invented. It does nothing you
> can't do with your main tuning dial. If nobody used AFC ever, the above problem
> would go away.

If developers are going to implement AFC, at least the crossed-ellipse display should show the pre-AFC version of the signal so that appliance operators at least know that they are not zero beat.

It is not as if that is any harder to implement in software than displaying a tuning indicator for a post-AFC signal.

BTW, K6LRN had mentioned to me off list that he is seeing a constant offset.  What are the chances that everybody has AFC turned on, and they are all doing S&P in the same direction?  When I found out that the problem went away when Dick applied a constant RIT at the rig, I suggested that his receive tone pair perhaps didn't match his transmit FSK tone pair.  That said, a real QSO outside of a contest should narrow down the problem.

73
Chen, W7AY