[RTTY] Question?

Bill, W6WRT dezrat1242 at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 18 03:30:57 PDT 2011

ORIGINAL MESSAGE:

On Sun, 17 Jul 2011 13:26:24 -0700, Kok Chen <chen at mac.com> wrote:

>BTW, K6LRN had mentioned to me off list that he is seeing a constant offset.  What are the chances that everybody has AFC turned on, and they are all doing S&P in the same direction?  When I found out that the problem went away when Dick applied a constant RIT at the rig, I suggested that his receive tone pair perhaps didn't match his transmit FSK tone pair.  That said, a real QSO outside of a contest should narrow down the problem.

REPLY:

For what it's worth:  The first rig I ever used for RTTY - a Kenwood TS-850 -
had a built in problem in that respect. I had to set the XIT off by about 100 Hz
to make the TX and RX frequencies the same. As I recall, everything was crystal
controlled in that rig and the factory just didn't quite get the crystals
matched too well. Once I figured it out I used that rig for years with no
problem.

I have had a bunch of transceivers since then, all digital based, and never had
the problem again.

73, Bill W6WRT