[RTTY] ST0R

Nelson Moyer ku0a at mchsi.com
Sun Jul 31 15:09:10 PDT 2011

They aren't THAT difficult to work! I found success by calling in openings
when I couldn't find the last QSO. Granted, there aren't always opening with
RTTY bandwidth and a short split range, but it worked for two bands that way
(17 and 15 meters), and I didn't spend more than 30 min. to an hour calling
from Iowa with 500 watts and a TH-11 on a 50 ft. tower. For the third band
(20 meters), I found the last station worked slightly above the pileup and
called on that frequency three times. Third time was charm. I haven't
printed them on 30 meter RTTY yet.

I spent much more time listening than calling. If more stations did that, it
would be easier to work them because we could find the station being worked
easier. Calling incessantly on RTTY only jams the split for everyone. The
pileup discipline has been nonexistent on all modes except CW, probably
because fewer ops nowadays can copy and send CW at 30 wpm ;)

Nelson, KU0A