[RTTY] Three lessons from NAQP

Hank Garretson w6sx at arrl.net
Tue Mar 1 13:09:51 PST 2011

On Tue, Mar 1, 2011 at 9:01 AM, Tom Osborne <w7why at frontier.com> wrote:

If I correct my call and they just come back with QSL QRZ without sending
> the corrected call, I just delete the contact.  I never know if they got it
> right nor not.

I gently suggest that this might be a bit harsh.

1. The other guy may have had your call correct all along, sent it
correctly, but it misprinted on your screen. Hence he thinks you are just
one of those guys who oversends his call and he may see no need to send it
again.

2. If you leave the contact in your log and he has the call wrong, he will
get penalized, but you will receive credit for the contact. You made a
good-faith effort to help him get it right. If he didn't, then he deserves
the penalty.

3. If you remove the contact from your log, but he indeed has your call
correct, he will get dinged when perhaps from his point of view he had a
valid contact (see #1).

I see no downside to you for leaving the contact in the log.

If I misunderstand the log-checking process, I retract all above.

73,

Hank, W6SX

Mammoth Lakes, California

Elevation 8083 feet in John Muir's Range of Light