[RTTY] Three lessons from NAQP

Ed Muns ed at w0yk.com
Tue Mar 1 16:54:52 PST 2011

I understand your concern and agree that the messages should come across to
the other operators as making sense.  First of all, most of the time the
nominal messages will be used so there is no issue.  I am not advocating
that modular messages be the norm.  They are used when the situation
requires it ... like when I send my exchange message and think I hear QRM or
another transmission start at the same time.  I'll just chain their call
sign so it is sent again at the end of the exchange.  That almost always
saves a repeat.

That said, I haven't found that the momentary %E between chained message to
be a problem at all.  The chained message starts up so fast that the other
operator doesn't have a chance to reply too soon.  When I'm on the receiving
end of such transmissions, it doesn't bother or confuse me.  It would be a
problem, I think, if the pause were longer.

Ed - W0YK