[RTTY] Newbie and brag files

Tom Osborne w7why at frontier.com
Tue Mar 1 18:38:45 PST 2011

> The canned macros do allow English and non English speaking hams to have a
> digital QSO that otherwise would not occur. Also hams like myself with
> very
> limited use of his hands due to rheumatoid arthritis can also have a
> digital
> QSO.

Yes, but is it a QSO if the operators don't have a clue what the other
operator it talking about.  They can send a canned message in English, but
how about what I send to them if they don't understand what they are seeing.
Might as well send 599 and move on :-)

I remember back when I memorized some stuff in Russian to send to my Russian
friends on CW when I'd contact them.  Problem was, when I send in Russian,
I'd get a bunch of stuff back in Russian as they assumed I could speak their
language (which I couldn't).

Now, your point about having a problem with your hands is a good one.  I can
see where canned messages would be great for that application.  But, do I
need to know your grid square and 'Operator date of construction?'  73
Tom W7WHY