[RTTY] Length-of-Exchange utility

Jeff Blaine keepwalking188 at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 29 16:02:32 PDT 2011

Excellent work David.  Very cool app...

73, Jeff ACØC
www.ac0c.com

-----Original Message-----
From: Bill
Sent: Tuesday, March 29, 2011 5:07 PM
To: rtty at contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Length-of-Exchange utility

I ran that and after careful analysis I realized that if I keep my
serial numbers below 10 i.e.
w1xx 599 10  w9ol cq

I will be much faster and have more time to make more qsos.
No wonder I haven't won a contest lately, I've been INTENTIONALLY TRYING
to make my serial number multi digit!!!!

On 3/29/11 4:34 PM, David Westbrook wrote:
> Here's a little web utility to compare different exchanges such as "599 0123
> 0123" vs "599-0123-0123"  and display the real (including shifts) length and
> the real time (in seconds) it would take to transmit.  Assumes 45.5 baud,
> and has the stop bits and Un-Shift-On-Space (USOS) as options.
>
>          http://dwestbrook.net/projects/ham/rtty-length
>
> What sparked this was Chen's comment in the recent "RTTY" thread re: AL9A's
> "slow" rtty:
> ~~~~~~~~~~
> "'Someone' in the contesting community should whip up a Java tool to
> figure out the number of seconds an exchange takes when you enter the
> actual exchange and states such as number of stop bits and USOS
> condition. Perhaps such a tool should even be embedded into RTTY contest
> programs. Most RTTY ops know how to count them, but it could be an eye
> opener for folks who are not familiar with stop bits and LTRS/FIGS shifts.
>   Often, it is not a matter of choosing a shorter exchange for the human
> reader, but on how you create the exchange for a machine."
>
> So, enjoy!
>
> Comments/Issues/Suggestions welcome here or directly at dwestbrook at gmail.com
> Source code (perl using a regexp approach) is free and linked to from the
> tool.
>
> Chen -- thanks again for the tech support!!
>
> --david
> KJ4IZW

I'm going to stay in show business until I'm the last one left.-George Burns