[RTTY] Virus

Don AA5AU aa5au at bellsouth.net
Thu Oct 6 12:57:55 PDT 2011

The virus on contesting.com was found to be the Data Restore virus which is a nasty trojan.

I've been told that the problem at contesting.com (and eHam) has been fixed and the script eliminated.

In case you were unfortunate to have been bitten by it, you can follow the instructions here to get most everything going:

http://www.myantispyware.com/2011/09/29/how-to-remove-data-restore-virus/

Unfortunately, things do not get full repaired by the above "fix" but it does eliminate the virus from your PC.  What I ended up doing after following the instructions on the myantispyware.com page was to do a System Restore on my machine.  Luckily, Restore had created a restore point two days prior to getting the virus.

This is the not the first time System Restore has saved me a lot of trouble.

73, Don AA5AU