[RTTY] JARTS Age Analysis

Don Hill AA5AU aa5au at bellsouth.net
Mon Oct 24 22:17:21 PDT 2011

I want to thank everyone who sent me their 2011 JARTS log for this analysis.  I realize it's not the most scientific analysis but
hopefully we can learn something from it.

I received 41 logs which contained 20,365 QSOs.  I put the calls from all of those QSO's into an Excel spreadsheet.  I then removed
all calls that showed only once which could not be verified in the Super Check Partial file.  This was to insure there were little
or no busted calls in the final analysis.  It's not perfect but I felt a majority of the single calls that could be verified by
Super Check Partial were probably valid.

Callsigns showing only once in the file that could not be verified by the latest Super Check Partial were assumed busted and
therefore deleted.

If a callsign was listed two times and the ages were different for each entry, the call and both entries were deleted.  This only
occurred a couple of times.

This left 20,072 QSOs.

I then eliminated the multiple call entries to come up with 2583 good unique callsigns and ages.  This included multi-op (99) and YL
(00) entries.

There were 25 "99" unique calls and 23 "00" YL unique calls.  Both 99 and 00 calls were deleted. This left 2535 unique callsigns
with valid ages.

I then sorted the calls by age.  The youngest age was Tristan, W4TNH, at 12 years old.  This was confirmed by his QRZ.COM page and
he's been licensed since age 8!

The oldest was Bob N3FAW at 93 years old.  This was also confirmed by his QRZ.COM page.

The average age for the 2583 callsigns was 56.85 or rounded to 57 years old.  Actually this is younger than I thought it would be.
I thought perhaps the average age would be in the 60s.

The median age was 58.

It appears we may not be as old as we thought!

73, Don AA5AU
http://www.aa5au.com
http://www.rttycontesting.com