[RTTY] wf1b info

Robert Chudek - K0RC k0rc at citlink.net
Tue Sep 13 12:26:32 PDT 2011

Hello Joe...

The RTTY by WF1B software was one of the original contest packages
developed for the serious digital contester. It provided many features
seen in more recent contest loggers although it ran on the DOS operating
system. It was the premier logger in its day but it was never rewritten
for the Windows platform (or any other platform).

It can be run in a DOS box using Windows XP, but be aware this might not
be a stable platform. Among the issues are the direct calls to the COM
ports. In addition, it requires an external TNC (rtty demodulator)
instead of the modern soundcard based demodulators. I think there was an
issue of timing errors when used with fast CPUs (500 MHz and above).

All said, if you are just starting out and have no nostalgic reason to
choose this particular contest logger, your time will be better spent
getting a free copy of MMTTY or MMVARI and one of the contest loggers
that integrate this engine (N1MM Logger, WriteLog, etc.). The
performance of these soundcard based RTTY engines will outperform the
majority of the older TNCs.

In addition, these Windows based loggers will support all the new
contests (and DXCC prefixes) that have been introduced since the RTTY by
WF1B era.

73 de Bob - KØRC in MN