[RTTY] RadioShack isolation transformer replacement

Eric - VE3GSI ve3gsi at sympatico.ca
Wed Apr 4 07:41:39 PDT 2012

Hi Don,

I have the R/S 270-054 isolation transformer and use it from time to time
for testing on the bench. When ohmed out it has NO DC connection between any
of the separate circuits, that  is left/right or in/out so it is total
isolation.  Mine came with a RCA to 1/8" stereo adapter.

Another source of interface/isolation transformers. I went to one of the
local Mom and Pop computer stores and asked for any old computer modems they
were trashing.  Most (but not all) of these modem boards have a ~600/~600
ohm isolation transformer that work fine for radio interfaces.  As for
making the isolation cable with these PC mounted devices, I remove the
transformer from the board, and simply solder a cable to each side, covered
it with heat shrink and flooded it with RTV seal before hitting it with the
heat gun.

Eric - VE3GSI