[RTTY] 17 meter RFI

Don AA5AU aa5au at bellsouth.net
Fri Apr 6 11:57:15 PDT 2012

I'm sure we all have had some kind of RFI when operating RTTY, especially high power. It's not uncommon.

When I first got AT&T U-verse, I would kill all the TVs with even low power on anything below 20 meters. This is because U-verse uses frequencies in the HF band! When U-verse was first connected at my QTH, the installer used all the old existing 75 ohm coax to connect from the modem to the cable boxes. After I discovered the RFI, I ran new CAT5 or CAT6 cable from the modem to each cable box and it completely cleared the problem (the cable boxes have both Ethernet and F-type female connections). I can run as much power as my amps are capable (500W RTTY or 1000W CW) and there is no disruption to any of the U-verse services.

Don AA5AU