[RTTY] More on Parody Island

Don AA5AU aa5au at bellsouth.net
Wed Dec 5 17:29:17 EST 2012

Thanks to Jerry, NO2T, for finding out more the Parody Island saga and jogging my memory. The Parody Island DXpedition spoof was in response to the way RTTY DX'ers were treated during the first Ducie Island in March 2002 using the callsign VP6DI. This DXpedition was headed by Kan, JA1BK. It has always been known that Kan was not a RTTY operator nor was he a fan of the mode. RTTY operations were rare on DXpeditions headed by Kan.

I was fortunate enough to have made a RTTY contact with VP6DI in the one single RTTY session they did have. However, I was perturbed by the lack of RTTY from this "all time new one". Here is something Jerry had kept and shared with me today: