[RTTY] Commercial Sound Cards: Internal vs. External & USB

RLVZ at aol.com RLVZ at aol.com
Wed Dec 12 21:43:07 EST 2012

Hi Guys,

I've really enjoyed the posts about Commercial Sound Cards  as I want to
improve my RTTY weak signal reception.

I've got some questions:

1) Some people contend that Internal sound cards are more  prone to "noise
and interference" then External sound cards... and therefore  External sound
cards are better.
Others contend that the USB sound card is more likely to have  latency
problems, especially if a number of USB devices are plugged into  the computer,
and therefore the Internal sound card is  better.  I imagine both issues
depend on a  variety of things like how "noisy" the computer is and  the
environment the computer is located in.  But isn't there a  concensus on whether
the Internal or External sound card generally works  better on RTTY reception
for most people?  Or are External sound cards  and USB sound cards so new
that the jury is still  out?

2) Are some Desktop computers known to have  a lower internal signal to
noise ratio?  If so, what Makes &  Models are best?

32) Would an internal Broadcast quality sound card like  the Digigram
VX-222 that has a S/N ratio of >-95dB, and very low distortion  such as 0.002%,
when installed in the average consumer  desktop computer, provide a good deal
better weak signal reception of RTTY  signals?

Hope to work you this weekend in the OK RTTY DX  Contest.

73,
Dick- K9OM