[RTTY] FSK Readouts vs AFSK

Al Kozakiewicz akozak at hourglass.com
Mon Feb 6 13:21:52 PST 2012

I'm not 100% sure I'm following the point, but if the point is that you can decide to decode something other than 2125/2295 when running AFSK in order to make the math for the conversion to the "FSK frequency" simple to do in your head, why not?  When I was first trying RTTY and running AFSK I never ran the standard part because 2295 Hz was usually just outside my SSB filter passband.

If you're using AFSK, you will probably eventually want to use a narrow SSB filter whose upper limit will end up being lower than 2kHz anyway, forcing you to change to a different tone pair.  From a technical standpoint, it doesn;t much matter at all what tone pair you choose as long as the separation is 170 Hz.

Al
AB2ZY