[RTTY] SO2R Problem

Joe Subich, W4TV lists at subich.com
Tue Feb 14 09:16:07 PST 2012

 > What is the most I can tolerate? I don't know, but I assume it would
 > take more than a half volt to punch through the typical SS devices in
 > the rx front end.

It's not typically voltage punch through to the active devices that
kills front ends ... except for switching diodes that can be damaged
will less than 1/4 volt depending on type and how they are biased.
The more common failure is burned resistors and chokes which can be
damaged with 100 mW or less.

200 mV is slightly less than 100 mW ... uncomfortably close in my
opinion.  I would prefer to see levels of 10 mW or less *before*
any bandpass filters with levels after bandpass filters no greater
than -33 dBm - particularly with "transceivers" that have blocking
thresholds less than 120 dB.

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV