[RTTY] Dupes, and handling them

Phil Cooper pcooper at guernsey.net
Wed Feb 15 06:59:39 PST 2012

Hi all,

For the past few years, I have always worked dupes, without question, unless
they happened to call immediately after a contact.
The case is like this:
CQ GU0SUP
DE XE1EE XE1EE
XE1EE TU 599 001 001 001 GU0SUP
GU0SUP TU 599 002 002 002 XE1EE
XE1EE TU QRZ DE GU0SUP
AA5AU AA5AU
AA5AU TU 599 002 002 002 GU0SUP
GU0SUP 599 100 100 100 AA5AU
AA5AU TU QRZ DE GU0SUP
DE XE1EE XE1EE XE1EE
In which case I have to assume he didn't get my serial number and wants a
repeat!

I guess most folk - if they don't get my serial number will ask for it
BEFORE sending ME an exchange, but this is NOT always the case.

I will then use the keyboard and send the serial number that WAS sent at the
time, and hope that all is good, rather than working him again.

This also begs the question as to why this repeat caller doesn't just listen
for a minute, and then see what the next serial number I send actually is,
and work out what I sent.

Lastly, working dupes is fine by me, but I have noticed that in Writelog,
working a dupe means that the previous QSO is marked with an X, and does NOT
appear to be exported in all Cabrillo files.
I can't remember which contest it was, but when I checked post-contest, it
was there, so I assumed it would be in any other contest. But, this does not
appear to be the case.
I had a dupe in the RTTY Roundup, and that first contact did not show up in
the resulting Cabrillo.
Maybe someone else can confirm this happens to someone other than me?

73 all

Phil GU0SUP

---
Virus Database (VPS): 120215-0, 15/02/2012
Tested on: 15/02/2012 14:59:39