[RTTY] What does it take to finish in the top 10?

Dave AA6YQ aa6yq at ambersoft.com
Sun Feb 26 14:06:33 PST 2012

>>>AA6YQ comments below

-----Original Message-----
From: rtty-bounces at contesting.com [mailto:rtty-bounces at contesting.com]On
Behalf Of Kok Chen
Sent: Sunday, February 26, 2012 2:51 PM
To: RTTY Reflector
Subject: Re: [RTTY] What does it take to finish in the top 10?

>snip<

Both of them require some form of SDR, naturally, and I don't think they
have automatic linkages to QSY a transmitter automatically (yet).  In
cococaModem, you can click on a row in the PSK31 tableview (what cocoaModem
calls its PSK31 "skimmer") and the program will QSY your transmitter to the
correct frequency -- a quick QSY is an easy thing to implement.

OK, I might as well divulge an idea that I have only previously discussed
with Doug K4DSP... for DX that is working a split pileup, install a parser
on his data stream to do callsign recognition (recognizing anything that
smells like a callsign).  Then in the skimmer (or whatever name you call a
multiple decoder), do an automatic search for that callsign and highlight
any row in the skimmer table where that callsign had appeared in most
recently.  A single keyboard shortcut then takes your transmit VFO
automatically to the most recent spot, ready to pounce once you see the DX
issue his next QRZ.

>>>Since December 2003, DXLab's WinWarbler has provided a "Stations Heard"
window for PSK31 and PSK63 that parses all QSOs in the passband, showing
each active station and who they are working. See

<http://www.dxlabsuite.com/winwarbler/Heard.jpg>

>>>Double-clicking an entry in the table displays all decoded text in a
receive pane and puts you one mouse click or keystroke away from calling the
station; if desired, a column can be added to the table showing the QSO text
as its decoded. Newly-decoded callsigns can automatically inserted into
DXLab's Spot Database, where along with cluster spots they are color-coded
for "need" with respect to awards being pursued and to show LotW and eQSL AG
participation, audibly announced if needed, and can be filtered or sorted as
desired.

>>>A window showing all text decoded from all active QSOs is also available,
but is only more useful than the Stations Heard window when conditions are
marginal.

>>>While "Stations Heard" is optimized for DXing, it works pretty well in
contests. I have only participated in one amateur radio contest: the 2003
PSK63 QSO party. Using "Stations Heard", I won first place in North America.

    73,

        Dave, AA6YQ