[RTTY] Contest exchanges:Adding their call

Hank Garretson w6sx at arrl.net
Wed Jan 11 16:24:59 PST 2012

On Wed, Jan 11, 2012 at 1:57 PM, David Levine <david at levinecentral.com>wrote:

Mike,I do it too as my base macro. In good conditions and not a lot of
> stations
> calling, it's a little overkill, but I sure appreciate it when it's sent to
> me.

Some comments:

1. When S&P, ninety-nine percent of the time it is a waste of time to send
other guy's call at both beginning and end of your S&P exchange. At the
beginning is good enough. Indeed, for S&P, one can often speed up the QSO
by just sending 599 CA with no call at all.

2. When running, the other guy's call at the end can be useful, but not all
the time.

I gently suggest that base macro for running have call only at beginning,
and base macro for S&P have no call, either beginning or end. Instead
program a function key with the other guy's call. Most of the time, you can
use your base macros. When conditions warrant, use the his-call macro key
to insert other guy's call as conditions dictate.

73,

Hank, W6SX

Mammoth Lakes, California

Elevation 8083 feet in John Muir's Range of Light