[RTTY] Lets try again on the FT857 problem

Nelson Moyer ku0a at mchsi.com
Tue Jan 31 17:42:11 PST 2012

Group,

I made up a new DIN data cable for the FT857 with the following connections:

Pin 1 - Data Out - 1200 baud - Green - Not used

Pin 2 - PTT - PTT - Orange - To PTT input on DXP38

Pin 3 - Data In - Brown - To AF Out input on DXP38

Pin 4 - GND - Black - To ground lug on DXP38

Pin 5 - Data Out - 9600 baud - Red - To AF In on DXP38

Pin 6 - SQL - Yellow - Not used

Serial Port -  COM1

9600 baud - 8 data bits - no parity - 1 stop bit - Hardware flow control
(per HAL tech support)

FT857 menu settings:

RTTY-L

+170

Problem:

The serial port recognizes the modem, DXPWin 3.0 opens, configured for
baudot RTTY, FT857 set to Digital and tuned to RTTY signal, NO AUDIO
detected by DXP38. Nothing, not even band noise.

The DXP38 was working just fine with my K3 until the 100 watt PA failed
calling HK0NA on 10 meters. I cannot figure out why I have no audio from the
FT857 to the DXP38 when all the connections are correct. Are there some
obscure menu settings to enable the data jack on the FT857? I can't find any
other menu settings that would affect RTTY.

Nelson, KU0A

PS

The K3 went back to Elecraft today, and I'm stuck with the FT857 until it
comes back.