[RTTY] kenwood ts 850 filters for rtty.

Jeff Blaine keepwalking188 at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 22 18:03:59 PDT 2012

Don't discount the effect of the attenuator.  I may have missed out the
message thread but there was a comment on 160m CW down a couple of messages.
That's a band/mode combo where an attenuator is a HUGE HUGE help.

For the maximum IP3 performance (best DR3), add more and more attenuation to
the front of the rig until there is no difference between the antenna
connected with the attenuator - and the antenna disconnected without an
attenuator.  That works and is true for ALL receivers.

Clicking on that attenuator is the most cost effective way to toughening up
the rig from a IMD generation standpoint.  And if you are talking about
RTTY, using the attenuator and then letting the software decoder software
provide the filtering function will give you the lowest cost and equivalent
functional capability of multiple filters.

This method works great on digital modes where the machine is doing the
decoding.  And if you need a filter in the rig (CW), then put it in the 1st
IF if you are buying just one.  As Joe mentioned, that will keep the down
stream free of IMD products for the most part.

Good luck!

73/jeff/ac0c
www.ac0c.com
alpha-charlie-zero-charlie