[RTTY] Software question

Bill, W6WRT dezrat1242 at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 26 10:48:34 PDT 2012

ORIGINAL MESSAGE:
On Thu, 26 Jul 2012 07:19:41 -0400, K8UT wrote:

>With roughly 250,00 lines of code in N1MM logger in VB6, a strong following
>of users, and a team of dedicated  developers, do you continue delivering
>unparalleled support and innovation for that 90+ percent of the market, or
>spend your cycles responding to a small non-Windows minority?

REPLY:
Please Larry, I'm not second-guessing or Monday Morning Quarterbacking decisions
made ten years ago. You guys made the right decision at the time and have
developed a fantastic program. I've been using it for years and I have
financially supported the web site as well.

But.....

Linux has come a long way since then, and especially Ubuntu. Finally, a person
can download and install Ubuntu and it works right off the bat. No driver
installation, no configuration, just plug and play. In that respect it's even
better than Windows, believe it or not. Ok, one small exception: In the latest
version of Ubuntu the com ports are disabled by default. Don't know why,
probably a security issue. Takes about 30 seconds to enable them when you know
how.

Perhaps the best part of Ubuntu is it's Software Management app. Just open the
app, scroll through thousands of available apps and choose the one you like and
click ONCE and the app is installed. Way better than the convoluted way Windows
does it. Likewise, one click uninstall. Could not be easier. Listen up, Bill
Gates.

The only fly in the Ubuntu ointment is lack of really good ham radio apps.
fldigi is great for what it does, but we still need a logging program as good as
DXLab and a contesting program as good as N1MM Logger.

Right now the average computer buyer doesn't realize they could shave about a
hundred bucks off the price by choice of OS. Another hundred by using
LIbreOffice in place of MS Office. LIbreOffice is already bundled with Ubuntu by
the way. No installing required. The way it should be.  :-)

Ubuntu a small minority? Maybe for now.

73, Bill W6WRT