[RTTY] RTTY and Field Day

RLVZ at aol.com RLVZ at aol.com
Tue Jun 26 13:31:39 PDT 2012

The Pre-Field Day discussion on this reflector,  about operating RTTY
during FD,  got me to operate RTTY during FD  for the first time.  Participation
was a lot better than I  expected.  I only operated FD for about 4 hours
total, and switched back  and forth between CW & RTTY.  My plan was to operate
RTTY until I  ran out of stations and then go back to CW for about 30
minutes.  In total,  I only operated RTTY for about 90 minutes during FD and made
90  qso's.  In conclusion, I enjoyed FD a lot more this year due  to the
RTTY qso's!  I hope the ARRL will promote RTTY use during FD more  and more.

73,
Dick- K9OM

> Here at the K9MOT FD site we tried RTTY for the first time  and we found
the rates were decent.

> Good enough were we  S&P'ed for a while then switched to SSB and then CW;
then back to RTTY. This  kept a decent rate going at times.?

> RTTY was productive enough  that we did not even try PSK31. In my humble
opinion PSK31 is too slow for  contesting/FD. RTTY is much better suited for
quick contacts. I printed many  excellent operators on the air and requests
for repeats were few.

> Based on the post FD club feedback, RTTY will be back next year for our
FD.

> Hope everybody had a great time!? Mother nature blessed us  with mild
temperatures, fewer bugs and no rain!

> 73, Adrian  AA5UK for K9MOT (Motorola Solutions Radio club)

QSL on the comments about  PSK-31 vs. RTTY.  I tried to use PSK-31 and it
was just too slow and very  frustrating where RTTY worked great. I noticed a
big increase in the number of  FD stations running RTTY this year and I
think this is a good thing.

I  learned something new doing an all digital FD regarding dup checks. I
found one  QSO with the same call on 14 MHz for both PSK-31 and RTTY. Most
software logging  programs (as well as the ARRL's LoTW) considers PSK-31 and
RTTY as separate  modes and will not show them as dup. The ARRL DXCC Desk now
says if it is not CW  or Phone, it is Digital.  We first saw the elimination
of the RTTY DXCC by  the ARRL DXCC Desk and now that administrative policy
decision seems to be  leaking over to contesting.

73 Dick  AA5VU

RTTY  mailing  list
RTTY at contesting.com

End  of RTTY Digest, Vol 114, Issue  27