[RTTY] PSK31 is faster (Was FD RTTY Question)

Joe Subich, W4TV lists at subich.com
Wed Jun 27 21:39:33 PDT 2012

Chen,

 > There is no need to introduce another "mode du jour" even.
>
> 7-bit ASCII (CCITT ITA-5) RTTY has been FCC approved (see part
> 97.309(c)) for a long time now. fldigi supports it, so does MultiPSK
> and cocoaModem, among others.

Does cocoaModem provide a way to set the data rate for ASCII down to
45.45 baud? Moving to 45.45 baud ASCII (ITA-5) would provide the
benefits discussed while maintaining compatibility with all the
Windows installations that are linked to FSK using EXTFSK in MMTTY
(MMTTY will also do 7bit ASCII although one needs to be careful since
the "HAM" function will reset MMTTY to 5bit code).

> Anyhow, the solution is already at your fingertips, and the FCC has
> blessed it for years now. It is called ASCII. And 110 baud with 170
> Hz shift is a breeze.

Why 110 baud?  There is a significant bandwidth and s/n penalty in
the higher speed even if the shift were held constant at 170 Hz.
If one were going to use a higher speed, a slight increase to 50
baud or possibly 75 baud would be enough to provide increased
efficiency vs. 45.45 "Baudot" without the s/n and bandwidth hit.

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV