[RTTY] BARTG

Tom Martin tmartin at chartermi.net
Tue Mar 20 13:22:41 PDT 2012

No use repeating what most have said.  Worse score in many years.  Only 635 contacts. Only 9 on 80 and zero on 10 meters. Very poor into Europe on Sunday morning. At least I didn't have to worry about RF into the second radio, after 0200 on Saturday night. I worked 40 until break time at 0400.

The only highlight was a ZS6 answering my CQ on 40.  15 meters was good Saturday evening but I didn't hear much Sunday.  Nothing from Asia at all. The Northern Lights are enjoyable to view but terrible for radio propagation.

I spent a lot of time asking for repeats this year.  Lots of QSB.

I also had issues with N1MMLogger.  The Grab window wouldn't fill.  It wasn't a big deal because I rarely had more than two stations calling me.  I see that it will be fixed in the next update.

The filters and stubs worked fine.  The only problem was changing bands.  Unscrewing filters and coax connectors can take time but I didn't miss many contacts because there weren't many to be had.

Icom Service Center in St. Joseph, Michigan repaired my Icom Pro II, after the WPX test.  Matt said that it looked like a static discharge issue and not RF.  I think that the Icom radios are more susceptible to that damage than other radios.  Just an observation on my part.  It's been repaired twice in two years.

I use the resistor to ground on my 160 Inverted L.  Never thought about using them on the other antennas.  I'll have try it.

73,

Tom W8JWN