[RTTY] ROS policeman on 14101

Dave Hachadorian k6ll at arrl.net
Wed Mar 21 09:51:47 PDT 2012

During the BARTG, I encountered a loud unidentified jammer near
14101, who kept sending the RTTY macro, "This frequency is
reserved for ROS."  I worked through the jamming for about 5
minutes, and then moved.

I had never heard of ROS, so I did a little digging.  As best I
can tell, ROS is a spread-spectrum mode that sounds like this:
http://www.nonstopsystems.com/radio/sounds/radio-ROS.wav

There certainly was no ROS that I could hear while I was on
14101, just the loud RTTY jammer.

Apparently, ROS is not legal in the USA, but there are renegades
who insist on operating that mode.  ROS ops have decided that
14101 is "their" frequency.  An ARRL/FCC statement regarding the
illegality of operating ROS in the USA below 220 MHz is here:
http://www.arrl.org/news/fcc-reaffirms-statement-on-ros

I don't have a solution for this conflict, but be aware that it
exists, and there at least one vigilante guarding the frequency.

Dave Hachadorian, K6LL
Yuma, Arizona

.