[RTTY] More on the NCCC RTTY Sprint

Hank Garretson w6sx at arrl.net
Thu Mar 22 15:23:43 PDT 2012

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Bill Haddon <haddon.bill at gmail.com>
Date: Thu, Mar 22, 2012 at 3:17 PM

A few comments following the W6SX message about our "trial run" NCCC RTTY
Sprint:

==================================
-- Upon joining NCCC in 2001, I promoted a ladder-style competition, the
first of it's kind for ham radio contesting. This 10 (now 8) week
competition provides weekly practice of the sprint format. We award wine
prizes, based on an entrants high-6 (now high 5) scores. We use a "random
weighted drawing" so everyone has a chance of winning a bottle of W0YK's
fabulous CA Pinot Noir wine.

-- The Ladder series became so popular (average 30-40 per week)  that the
troops wanted a weekly sprint between the ladder competitions.   Hence the
"NCCC Sprint" or NS.  Together, the two are termed "NCCC Thrusday Night
Contesting" (TNC).  Tom, N3ZZ directs the NS, taking over recently for
N6RO.

Details at www.ncccsprint.com

-- the Sprint format is complex, and the enthusiasm for frequent practice
has made our NS Ladder and NS very, very popular. . . often termed the
"best half hour in ham radio".

Both Ken, N6RO and I have become RTTY fans recently. . .Noting the high
participation in RTTY North American Sprint by our CW group, it seemed like
a good idea to have a test RTTY NS series.  Hence our 3-week experiment.

We hope a few of you will join us for the fun!  Bruce, WA7BNM has
graciously provided a web form for the contest (no log submission req'd).

For logging, use the NAS RTTY s/w and compute your band-mults by hand.  If
this catches on,  and we can find an organizer, logging modules will be
made available.

Comments are welcomed, and all are invited to join us in the post-NS net on
3609 immediately after the CW NS, i.e. at 0200Z.

73 Bill N6ZFO
Contest Director
NCCC Sprint Ladder