[RTTY] USB DIGI KEYER II

Kok Chen chen at mac.com
Mon Nov 19 14:58:40 EST 2012

On Nov 19, 2012, at 11:23 AM, Al Kozakiewicz wrote:

> Why, then, is there a Mackintosh (OS/X) section in the uHam drivers download page?

Isn't that just the FTDI (serial port) driver?

MicroHAM uses a packetized "Keyer Protocol" to encapsulate everything (rig control, FSK keying, CW keying, etc) into a single 230 kb/sec serial stream.  You can find a short description of what is needed to communicate with the MicroHAM interface here:

http://www.w7ay.net/site/Applications/Router/Contents/keyerprotocol.html

To send just a single FSK character, you need to embedded the Baudot character into a correctly formatted packet of 16 bytes (20 bytes if you want to key a second radio).  Likewise, each byte of rig CAT control takes 4 bytes, etc.

Router (on Windows) and uH Router (my program for the Mac) does this packetizing for you.  (I believe RUMped/RUMlog also has means of talking directly to the "Keyer Protocol" interface.)

uH Router is only used by MacLoggerDX and cocoaModem on Mac OS X.  Further, since I use Mac OS X 10.6 on all of my development machines, uH Router may or may not work on Mac OS X 10.7 and 10.8.

73
Chen, W7AY