[RTTY] RTTY - Slow computer problems

Bill, W6WRT dezrat1242 at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 23 19:36:28 EDT 2012

ORIGINAL MESSAGE:
On Sun, 23 Sep 2012 17:29:23 -0400 (EDT), K9OM wrote:

>I've tried different radios and different serial  cables... but the same
>problem over and over: CPU decodes great for awhile and  then "locks up" and
>prints the information about 10 seconds after it's  sent.

REPLY:
You probably have other programs or processes running in the background which
occasionally "take over" your CPU.

What I do before each contest is run msconfig.exe and disable all the items
(except anti-virus) on the Startup tab. Do NOT disable items on the Services tab
unless you really know what you're doing. That should free up your CPU a lot.

A short tutorial on msconfig.exe:

http://sourceportservices.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=78:using-msconfigexe-to-disable-unneeded-startup-programs&catid=34:tech-kb&Itemid=53

Of course, don't forget to re-enable the items after the contest.

73, Bill W6WRT