[RTTY] Heathkit SB-1000 On RTTY

Joe Subich, W4TV lists at subich.com
Mon Sep 24 22:27:20 EDT 2012

 > REPLY:
 > Aren't Eimac's data sheets for 100% duty cycle?

The data sheet specifies "CW or PEP" and does not give any pulse
duration specifications.  By definition PEP can't be 100% duty cycle.

One could do a lot of mathematical gymnastics comparing RTTY to SSB
or CW but CW transmit is what, 60% duty cycle ... even heavily clipped
SSB has around a 6 dB "crest factor" (peak to average ratio) while
RTTY is 100% duty while transmitting.  Even with the same proportions
of transmit vs. receive time RTTY will generate as much as 4 times
the heat as either CW or SSB without even considering the effects of
cooling lag (ability to move the heat out).

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV