[RTTY] Heathkit SB-1000 On RTTY

Joe Subich, W4TV lists at subich.com
Tue Sep 25 11:16:29 EDT 2012

> The manual for the Heathkit SB-1000 says a maximum plate current of
> 400 mA for CW and 550 mA on SSB.

The Heathkit manual rating is significantly in excess of Eimac's own
*MAXIMUM* PEP value for SSB.  Eimac states 400 mA for both CW and SSB.

 > What would be a safe maximum plate current for RTTY operation,

Given the continuous carrier nature of RTTY, the safe value would be
275 mA as given in the Eimac data sheet for "carrier conditions" in
AM operation.  This is particularly important since the 3-500 is rated
for only 330 plate dissipation in plate modulated AM (constant carrier)
service and Heath's cooling is inferior to the Eimac system.

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV