[RTTY] 300hz or 500hz IF filter?

Joe Subich, W4TV lists at subich.com
Thu Aug 22 18:54:48 EDT 2013

The -6 dB bandwidth of the INRAD "300 Hz" filter is shown as 340 Hz
which is slightly less than the theoretical 370 Hz required for 170 Hz
shift 45.45 baud RTTY.

That said, performance will be a trade off between improved
selectivity and interference rejection - up to a point.  If the
receiver can withstand AGC effects of close in interference, a 400
to 500 Hz filter will generally provide better copy than a 300 Hz
filter.  Note: no amount of selectivity is useful when signals
overlap or the interfering signal includes distortion (spurious)
products that overlap the desired signal.

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV