[RTTY] 300hz or 500hz IF filter?

Kai k.siwiak at ieee.org
Fri Aug 23 08:39:33 EDT 2013

Hi David,
Update of my previous answer ...

For reference, the specs for the Collins 300 and 500  Hz filter used with
FT-857D and FT-817 are at:
http://www.rockwellcollins.com/Capabilities_and_Markets/More/Precision_Manufacturing/Rockwell_Collins_Filters.aspx

The 300 Hz filter has a 3 dB BW of 300 Hz, and 6 dB BW of 330 Hz, all OK for the
250 Hz wide RTTY signal. Be aware, as others have commented here, tuning is
touchy!  The Collins 500 Hz filter has a 3 dB BW of 500 Hz and 6 dB BW of about
530 Hz. Both are 7-pole filters and both have steep skirts. Both filters are
suitable for 170 Hz shift 45.45 Baud RTTY.

As I mentioned earlier, the filter is not the only tool in your arsenal for
reducing effect of interference in crowded bands. Try also turning off the RF
preamp, and adding RF attenuation.

73,
Kai, KE4PT