[RTTY] 300hz or 500hz IF filter?

Joe Subich, W4TV lists at subich.com
Fri Aug 23 12:07:55 EDT 2013

> And in any case the question was about filters not the signal.

There we agree.  The problem is that practical narrow crystal or
mechanical filters have substantial group delay characteristics in
the transition region from passband to stopband (when the tones are
on the skirts).  That group delay creates inter symbol interference
(ISI).  Narrow filters work *only* with strong signals - when the
decrease in noise/QRM is greater than the increase in ISI.  In other
words, one trades off one source of SNR reduction for the other.

If one looks at *practical* filters, the group delay begins to rise
at around the -1 dB points and becomes quite severe as the slope of
the filter skirts increase.  A single Inrad "250 Hz" 8 MHz crystal
filter is only about 200 Hz wide at -1 dB ... they give no data on
the 455 KHz filters but the combination will certainly have severe
group delay issues.  While the net effect of improved QRM SNR and
the degraded ISI SNR may work for strong contest signals, it does
not work to one's advantage with moderate to weak DX signals.

Unless one's only interest is strong signal contesting, it is wise
to have at least 270 if not 350 Hz of "flat" response to avoid the
severe effects of group delay.  Filters that significantly less
than 300 Hz are simply not suitable for moderately to very weak
signals due to filter induced ISI.

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV