[RTTY] 300hz or 500hz IF filter?

Joe Subich, W4TV lists at subich.com
Fri Aug 23 18:48:07 EDT 2013

> In the RTTY case, it also depends the group delay characteristics -
> which is a metric never published by Inrad (that I've seen). On the
> Inrad filters I have measured, the group delay humps near the
> transition region are significant; which is the expected trade-off
> for the steep skirts - and that adds to the ISI problems as mentioned
> before.

Group delay information for the Collins 300 Hz and 500 Hz filters
is available here:
<http://www.rockwellcollins.com/Capabilities_and_Markets/More/Precision_Manufacturing/Rockwell_Collins_Filters.aspx>
  Follow the links for the "Low Cost
Series" filters.

Note that the 300 Hz filter group delay peaks at +/- 160Hz from center
reaching more than 4500 usec where group delay in the 500 Hz filter
peaks at less than 2500 usec +/- 250 Hz from center.  The 300 Hz filter
shows delay of more than 1000 usec at just +80Hz while the 500 Hz filter
remains below 300 usec over nearly 300 Hz.

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV