[RTTY] 300hz or 500hz IF filter?

Robert Chudek - K0RC k0rc at citlink.net
Fri Aug 23 23:53:59 EDT 2013

Your comment, Ian, brings up a different issue that is probably better
discussed on the CQ-Contest reflector. That is contesting strategy. But
I'll throw out a few ideas / questions here, for entertainment purposes...

Does the strategy change if your call sign is rare or common in the
event, i.e., ZD8 vs WØ? Is it better to sacrifice QSO rate for
multipliers? Do you prefer to RUN or Search & Pounce? Is the propagation
shifting to favor the weak station or is he fading into the sunset? Is
there a pileup of KWs calling and you are runing LP? Do you have a
better chance of working him on another band? Is the station known for
full-time activity or is this a rare opportunity of a unique multiplier?
Do you need him for your final WAS or DXCC entity?

So the point I am making is that during contesting, there are so many
variables at play it really is a judgement call whether I spend 10
minutes trying to pick out a weak signal or just move on and put 10
additional QSOs in the log. The contest scoring rules also plays into my
decisions, i.e., multipliers per band or not.

As you know, experienced and effective contest operators have good
answers to these questions. If an operator is new to the game, or has a
small window of opportunity for a few hours of fun on the radio, that
changes everything too.

I guess that's why the answer to whether I will spend time to pull out a
'weak one' is... "It depends..."

73 de Bob - KØRC in MN